Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Making of the Suburban Legend-Cake Balls

So...I decided my first baking would consist of the most perfect thing in the world-cupcakes, for my friend Kimmie's birthday and while I was at it I would attempt the mysterious cake ball. Now mind you no one in my circle of friend including myself have had cake balls so I was a little frightened. Also I am on a diet, and I mean diet-I do not stray so this would test my strength. First I made the cupcakes:


Then I tried my hand at cake balls-I decided to try chocolate cake mix with chocolate icing and a chocolate coating. How do you make cake balls you ask?



First mix the cake batter and bake:



Let the baked cake cool for about 20 minutes and then scoop out-just like that! No worries, you want the cake to crumble!



Crumble the cake with a fork.



Once completely crumbled add an entire jar of your desired frosting. You can get a great deal on frosting with your coupons.



Mix the icing in until it looks like this.



Use a cookie scooper to scoop out small or large balls onto a cookie sheet covered in wax paper. I knew that pampered chef cookie scoop would come in handy.


Roll the balls to form a more desired circle, cover with foil and put in the freezer for 15 minutes.



Remove from the freezer, heat baking chocolate (as much as you think you'll need-I needed the whole package), mix, drop the cake in the chocolate and drip with chocolate, don't roll! If you roll you won't get the smooth finish you'll desire.



Choose sprinkles!





Add sprinkles! The chocolate hardens quickly so have the sprinkles ready and add as you remove the cake from the dipping chocolate.





Finish by eating at the bowling alley while breaking 100. Happy Birthday Kim!



The Birthday Girl





Lon loved them-my dear husband.





Guarding the cake balls-Melanie, Kimmie, and I!

No comments:

Post a Comment